Calling all curators, art mediators and art critics from SADC, the deadline for the Pro Helvetia Curatorial Residency call is this Saturday (1 August 2015)! The Curatorial residency in Basel, Switzerland (2016), is part of a new exchange programme for curators, art mediators and art critics from Southern Africa interested in the Swiss art scene, conducting research in that context and establishing a show which includes regional and Swiss artists, in collaboration with the team of “Ausstellungsraum Klingental”.
Applicants can be from any of the following countries in the Southern African region: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Seychelles, Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
To apply please submit:
* A letter of motivation
* A preliminary outline/abstract of your research/project/exhibition at “Ausstellungsraum Klingental”, ideally including some preliminary consideration of lines of inquiry that you would want to pursue through the residency, as well as any artists/networks you would specifically want to engage with.
* A rough budget, indicating in a very preliminary way how you might deploy the CHF 5000 production budget for the exhibition
* submissions should be mailed to johannesburg(at)prohelvetia.org.za with “Klingental Residency:[your name]” in the subject line by August 1 2015.
What is provided for the resident curator:
* Accommodation in one of the Atelier Mondial Studios
* Living and travelling costs: CHF 12’000.- (5 months)
* Networking-dinner with curators from Basel in September 2016
* The opportunity to set up an exhibition or project/event at art space “Ausstellungsraum Klingental” in November 2016 (during the “Regionale”), with the support of local volunteers
* A contribution to exhibition costs up to maximum CHF 5’000.- plus provision of technical equipment, invitation cards and other support for the promotion of the event
* A motivated, active and curious host team with a lot of connections and experience in non-institutional artistic initiatives
Find full information at www.prohelvetia.org.za
International Arts Exchange Programme Atelier Mondial, located at Christoph Merian Stifung in Basel, and Pro Helvetia, the Swiss Arts Council, have established this new exchange programme for curators in collaboration with the independent art space “Ausstellungsraum Klingental”, located in Basel, Switzerland