Aspire reaches new heights on the local and international auction stage, setting new world records for Alexis Preller and William Kentridge as well as for works by contemporary artists Mohau Modisakeng, Pieter Hugo and Georgina Gratrix.
WORLD RECORD Alexis Preller, Adam, 1972 | SOLD FOR R9.1 million
WORLD AUCTION RECORD William Kentridge, Drawing from Stereoscope (Double page, Soho in two rooms), 1999 | SOLD FOR R6.6 million
Stanley Pinker, The Last Waltz | SOLD FOR R1.2 million
- Robert Hodgins, The Tenth Circle, 1993-4: SOLD FOR R853 500
- Sydney Kumalo, Reclining Figure I, 1982: SOLD FOR R682 200
- Edoardo Villa, Four Faces and Liberation, 1985: SOLD FOR R682 200 each
- Robert Hodgins, Demagogue, 1992: SOLD FOR R591 760
- William Kentridge, Tiepolo outside Machadodorp, 1986: SOLD FOR R569 000
- Ezrom Legae, Head: SOLD FOR R398 000
Sydney Kumalo, Reclining Fingure I, 1982 | SOLD FOR R682 800
The contemporary segment, where we continue to prevail, is currently growing globally at a rate of 19% year on year. The South African contemporary market as a whole sits at a very respectable 13th in the listing of the top 20 countries by turnover value at auction.
WORLD RECORD Georgina Gratrix, I Love You All the Time, 2011 | SOLD FOR R591 760
A stand out moment occured when Georgina Gratrix’s, I Love You All the Time (2011) sold for an exciting new world record of R591 760. A South African record was achieved when a photograph by Pieter Hugo, The Hyena Men of Abuja (2005), sold for R375 540, almost three times over the high estimate.
SOUTH AFRICAN AUCTION RECORD Pieter Hugo, Hyena Men of Abuja, 2005 | SOLD FOR R375 540
- Penny Siopis, Tapers, 1982: SOLD FOR R512 100
- David Brown, Engine Driver, 2011: SOLD FOR R273 120
- Mohau Modisakeng, Ditaola XV, 2014: SOLD FOR R261 740
- Sam Nhlengethwa, Red Room, 2014: SOLD FOR R125 180
- Jo Ractliffe, four works from the Inner City series, 2004: SOLD FOR R68 280
Our proven reach in the international modern and contemporary art markets is reflected in the result of R523 480 achieved for Andy Warhol’s large scale screenprint titled Mao,1972.
WORLD AUCTION RECORD David Brown, Engine Driver, 2011 | SOLD FOR R273 120
SOUTH AFRICAN AUCTION RECORD Andy Warhol, Mao, 1972 | SOLD FOR R523 480
FOR POST-SALE OFFERS ON UNSOLD LOTS, CONTACT:
Johannesburg | +27 11 243 5243 | firstname.lastname@example.org